Personal growth: dumping your friends and not giving a sh*t

Sunday, January 24, 2016


Not looking back is sometimes the best thing to do- or, always the best thing to do. Not because it already happened but because one: It's an opening to a new opportunity and two: a step towards a new beginning and moving on. I've always been one to be on the constant look out for potential toxic people to be prevented from coming in or near my life, but rarely does it ever occur to me that I've been having toxic friends in my life. There's a quote ascribed to Michael Bassey Johnson that I find interesting: “Always remember that you were once alone, and the crowd you see in your life today are just as unnecessary as when you were alone.” It took me a while to figure out that if my friends aren't giving me a warm and happy feeling, I'm so not surrounding myself around the right people.

Growing With Different Mindsets
I have had plenty of friends in the past who I have grown to instantly click and become compatible with- at least I thought I did. It's understandable as people grow, their mentality is clearly more broad and obviously, open to newer things. That right there, is just life. Think of your own self-development and don't disregard your gut feeling.

Lying To Yourself That They're Your Friend(s)
They can't keep secrets. Because I just love it when my secrets are being divulged! [sarcasm]. It has happened to me not only once that I have had my secrets revealed by a so-called friend of mine to the public and other people I intend to keep prohibited out of my life. There's a line of knowing where to beyond any doubt dump them once that line is reached, and this is it. Don't be fooled and convinced by that one time they were your shoulder to cry on.

So Used To Being In Their Company
Loneliness- it afflicts every single one of us at one point. I have been personally victimized by loneliness which duh, is depressing but I don't discipline myself enough for it because when it comes to friendships, I find myself leading back to the ones I really should be excluding out of my life (Yikes, imagine a boyfriend). This has happened to me so many times: get into an argument, "make-up", be "friends" again. There is absolutely no reason to be crawling back to your "bestie for life" because there isn't another loyal option waiting for you. Nostalgia will get you nowhere.

Everything Is A Competition
No matter what you say, they will always try to one-up you. This one, in my opinion, just results more in annoyance and irritation than an overall relationship destruction. It almost just makes me want to laugh at the pathetic-ness  they have when they basically talk about how their life is more superior with all the access they have that (even more irritating) you are limited to. Nobody has time for that. 

BE YOUR FRIENDS. And no, I don't mean become a replica of those people. Our environment affects us way more than we think. We're a reflection of who we regularly associate ourselves with. In other words, I've been hanging out with multiple me's- Attitudes and overall behaviors are crazy contagious, man. We're basically just absorbing and taking in all that negative atmosphere and we're so blind and clueless to even realize.

You know yourself, who you are, what you like, what you don't, what you're capable of. Be independent and do you. This is the part where you have to be uncomfortable and dig deep. Re-evaluate and take a look at yourself and figure shit out. I promise you it will lead to better things.


You Might Also Like

0 comments